Friday, January 13, 2012

New Years and Meal Plans

I made one rather larger new years resolution this year, and (this will surprise no one), it has many parts. One of those is to commit myself to meal planning each week in order to A. actually have a plan B. feed my family well and C. attempt to save some money in the process.

This past week was my first real commitment week and my husband commented that it was the best week of food that he's had since we were married...now, he isn't just trying to blow smoke, since he is actually one of my best critics in terms of food. He isn't shy to tell me that he loves, hates or would change something that I've made...so I accepted this as a true complement and was motivated to plan for this upcoming week as well.

I'm going to share these meal plans with you each week after I've finished cooking them in order to actually hold myself accountable to making the meals I plan (and not wussing out on Outback takeout...despite how yummy and delicious is really is), but also to provide feedback for the one person who might actually choose to make it themselves:)

Let me know if you a. try any or b. have any meal plans of your own to share...I could use suggestions!

Week One

Saturday: leftovers:)

Sunday
: red quinoa with avocado black beans and corn
*I borrowed from a great website for this meal but added tomatoes

Monday
: roasted tomato soup with grilled cheese
*Hubby said this was the best soup he ever had...stolen from here, but I didn't simmer on stove a second time, as I never have an extra twenty minutes and my vitamix allows me to add the stock and heat right in the blender (because it's that amazing)

Tuesday
: White Bean and Shrimp Panini and Salad
*adapted from an epcurious appetizer recipe and used some frozen pesto that I already had on hand rather than the basil marinade, plus included tomatoes and cheese...because everything is better with those two.

Wednesday
: Chicken, Rice and Spinach Soup
*there are several recipes out there, I adapted mine from this but changed a bunch of things...if you want the final recipe, let me know:)

Thursday
: Broke out the chilis gift card because I worked until 6 and we weren't home until 630...felt ok about my slip up because it was free:)

Friday:
Spinach Pasta Tortellini Bake
*This was absolutely amazing, I anticipated leftovers but no luck, Robert and I downed almost the whole thing single-handedly:) Found this recipe here but altered a bit my mixing everything together in the baking dish rather than the pan...easier clean up.

Our consensus?
we really felt healthier (minus the burger and potato skins from chilis, obviously) and fuller after these meals than what I normally cook

My toddler's consensus?
He gobbled up dinners from Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday and ate slightly altered meals the other nights...which, since we have trouble with him every night, actually made for a great week of meals for him too.

What did you make last week? or what are your plans for this upcoming week?

No comments: