Sunday, March 11, 2012

bean burgers explained

This is for my sweet friend Jill, and hopefully at least one other person:)


After reading lots and lots of recipes for comparison and suggestion, here's what I did:
1 C peas and carrots
1/2 C butternut squash
2 Tbs of pesto (pre-portioned from the freezer)
1 Tbs Worcestershire
1 Tbs Dijon Mustard
3Tbs yogurt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup flaxseed
1 can black beans (I happen to use pre-portioned frozen but it was about one can's worth), mashed

1. Heated the frozen vegetables in the microwave and then threw them in my vitamix.

2. Added pesto, yogurt, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, cinnamon then had my sous chef turn the vitamix on:)

3. Once it was good and liquid form, I started adding in the oats, breadcrumbs and flaxseed until it was a good consistency, then I poured some of it into a bowl along with the black beans

You want to be able to form patties with the mix, if it's too runny, add more oats, too thick more liquid.

Then it goes in the refrigerator for a bit until you're ready to cook...that was about a half hour for me while I played puzzles with Robert and fed Joshua.

Last, form patties and cook on stovetop (I used our grill pan to make it more hamburger like..hoping to fool Robert completely),then they go in the oven to firm up at 350 for about 10 minutes.

I served ours on toasted ciabatta with cheddar cheese and bacon...so good, AND I had two for lunch the next day.

Yes, there should be photos, but at this point in my life, we're focusing on getting the meal on the table without too much yelling (by me) and whining of hunger (that would be all three of my boys)

if you make them, let me know!

1 comment:

Mrs. Smith said...

I am SO, SO, SO excited to try this! I am even going to make this my inaugural meal on my new grill pan. Yum!!!!!!