Tuesday, April 14, 2009

he's here!

Starting around 10:30 last night, while Robert was attempting to finish our taxes, my labor decided to begin! We started off slow at first...my body not quite sure if it was for real or some pretty painful braxton hicks. BUT, by 2:30, after calls to the doctor, we were headed to Martha Jefferson. After checking in, I discovered that I had dilated to 5 cm...excellent news. Not so excellent was that the pain only gets worse from there. So, I wimped out and took the epidural. In retrospect, I'm incredibly thankful that I did. My body totally pooped out around 5am and having the epidural was key to my successful delivery. It allowed me to pause my labor and take an hour long nap this morning before moving into the pushing stages of delivery. Plus, something that they don't tell you about contractions, is that they cause major league shivers...I felt like someone trying to recover from hypothermia...keeping several heavy, heated blankets on me at all times.

After the break and quick nap, we successfully delivered our sweet son at 12:24...so yes, I labored for 12 long hours. He weighs 6 pounds and 11 ounces, and checked in at 19 inches long...much to Roberts delight...he was worried that we'd have a short child.

Robert Miltz Luck IV has his fathers beautiful deep blue eyes and is already the apple of my eye. Robert should be posting photos after we take a bit of a rest tonight...there's a reason that I didn't pull all nighters in college!

3 comments:

Mrs. Smith said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done Lauren! You are a trooper and I'm so glad everything went smoothly! We can't wait to meet our new neighbor.

Becca Moss said...

Lauren,

We are so happy for you! We can't wait to meet him!!!

Love to you both!
xoxo
Becca and J.D.

centristdemocrat said...

Wow, congrats! How exciting!
Lauren & Bryan